No Avocado Keto Smoothie
I love avocados just as much as the next person but have you seen the prices for avocados recently? And I live in California! In addition to the crazy prices, you don’t always have a ripe avocado on hand when you want a smoothie. Therefore, I decided to develop a smoothie recipe with good fats to replace the avocado and you can whip it up any time. I went through several rounds to get this to the right texture and consistency.
I first develped this recipe with a strawberry and coconut flavor base. It was good but because of the spinach, it turned into this yucky brownish green color. I guess if I closed my eyes, it would taste good but I definitely eat with my eyes first so I replaced the strawberries with blueberries to make it pretty. 🙂 My friend asked why I can’t add the strawberries as well so there you go, a mixed berry smoothie. You can also use a frozen berry mix. It’s up to you. That is something you can play around with.
I have also tried this smoothie with almond milk and it turned out nicely as well. If you cannot drink coconut milk or you don’t like it, you can try the almond milk but that will definitely reduce a lot of the good fat so you might want to add some almond butter as well.
The best part about this smoothie is that the hemp hearts and flax meal keeps you energized, full for hours and there’s no sugar crash afterwards. I hope you like it as much as I do!
TIP 1: Try to use a magic bullet or an attachment used to make single serve smoothies. It makes it a lot easier to clean up and the smoothie is a lot smoother than just a regular blender.
TIP 2: Use ice. I made this with a friend whose ice machine was broken and it just wasn’t as good. It’s a key ingredient.
TIP 3: If the smoothie is too thick for your liking, add coconut milk or almond milk a tablespoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
No Avocado Keto Smoothie
- 1/2 cup Coconut milk (I use the kind from the can. Mix well before use)
- 1/2 cup Wild blueberries (Frozen)
- 3 Strawberries (frozen)
- 1 cup Fresh spinach
- 2 teaspoons Flax meal
- 1 tablespoon Hemp hearts
- 1/4 cup Crushed ice Don't forget the ice! It's a key ingredient.
- 1 tablespoon Swerve I like the confectioner's for this but you can use any sweetner like Monk Fruit or Xylitol.
- 2 tablespoons Coconut milk or almond milk This is if your smoothie is too thick. Add 1 tbsp at a time.
- Place all the ingredients into the blender except the 2 tablespoons of almond milk/coconut milk.
- Blend until smooth. If your smoothie is too thick, add the additional almond milk or coconut milk 1 tablespoon at a time for desired consistency.